[plug] Java and the GPL

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Jun 18 16:44:20 WST 2000

[Oliver White]
> I was thinking... is it legal to distribute Java applications under
> the GPL, since they will undoubtably link to the proprietary APIs of
> sun's JDK. I understand there's some leeway given to the standard
> libraries like libc, but the JDK is almost world - kitchen sink.

You do not have to use SUN's JDK.  Kaffe (GPL) and Japhar (LGPL) are
GPL-compatible alternatives.  Kaffe more then Japhar at the moment,
but I'm sure this will change.  In addition you can use the Java
frontend to GCC and link with gcj to get a native binary if you want.

  http://www.kaffe.org/
  http://www.japhar.org/
  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/java/
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere at td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!