[plug] CD Writer configuration

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Jun 19 16:17:30 WST 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Len Bird wrote:

> Thanks for the information, but unfortunately I omitted to say that the
> interface is IDE and the
>  RW H-P drive was simply replacing an existing Read Only CD-ROM Drive ,
> hence the existing
>  configuration. The error messages suggest that Linux 'sees' a different
> File System on the R/W
> drive as opposed to the Read Only CD=ROM drive.

The file system is present on the actual CD, not the drive.
It is possible to put an ext2 file system on a CD-ROM, but it would not be
very useful because it would mean only Linux would be able to see it.
Can you provide us with the error messages you get?
Also, if you want the IDE CD writer to work as a writer, you need to
compile scsi emulation support in the kernel (available as a module as
well) and compile support for SCSI CD-ROM as well as SCSI generic.

The CD-ROM would then be accessed for read via the SCSI CDROM interface
(/dev/scd0 or /dev/sr0) and accessed for write via the SCSI generic
(/dev/sr0)

If you need help setting this up, let me know. I've just talked someone
through setting up the very same thing and still have the email in my
sent-mail folder.

 - Matt