[plug] re: reinstall or rebuild

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Jun 19 09:49:35 WST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Holland [mailto:myk at golden.wattle.id.au]
Sent: Monday, 19 June 2000 9:37 AM
To: Plug (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [plug] re: reinstall or rebuild

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> first LILO shows up then the next line then it just hangs there forever.

Jon,
The usual solution is to boot from floppy, check that /etc/lilo.conf is
correct, and re-run lilo.

> Any ideal what went wrong?

Maybe the re-install put the lilo boot sector in a different place, and
removed the old kernel, so the old boot sector no longer works. Something
like that.
  With a Win9x/linux combination, I'd suggest telling lilo to use the MBR,
ie /dev/hda. Wheras with NT, it may be better to use NT boot-manager on
the MBR. But check the HOWTOs for boot, lilo, and dual-boot.

jlm> the boot is on /dev/hdb

> I suggested the following:
> copy the lilo.conf file to a safe place (floppy)
> remove the win95 drive
> blow away the linux drive and rebuild from a fresh install.
> copy the lilo.conf file back and reboot.

I suspect that win95 is hda. Is linux on the slave or second IDE?
Can the BIOS boot from that drive without changing the settings?
Sounds like the hard way.

jlm> Linux is the slave drive on first IDE port, it has booted from there
and then you type either dos or let it run to get Linux.

> doing an automatic install does Linux over write the win95 drive? or will
it

It shouldnt, but be careful what options you choose at the start!
All this depends on the distro & version.

jlm> RH6.2

> ask which device to put the boot partition on?  If rebuilding the drive is
> the best way what is the best way to blow away linux?

Use Linux fdisk to delete the linux partitions. This can be done during
the re-install normally.

jlm> at this point may be the best thing to do, because he still has
problems with installing gnome and based on the HOWTO's it suggested doing
and upgrade or a much more involved method
(http://customer.support.redhat.com/rhoaprod/plsql/xxrh_know_pkg.srch2?p_id=
402).  So we chose the upgrade and now we have all sorts of problems, this
is why now I suggested the re installation to start with a clean start then
work from there.  At least I will have some ideal as to what is on the
system and what isn't.  mind you he want Gnome on while it is still a server
install.  is this done automatically or does Gnome only install during a
workstation install?  If it's only during a workstation install then why
does the installation miss the network component installation (didn't
install the NIC driver)?

Jon

ciao,

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>