[plug] re: reinstall or rebuild

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 19 11:36:50 WST 2000

Jon,
your replies are a bit hard to read here in plain-text. I guess Microsoft
Outlook colour or font codes it. Do you put the "jlm>" in manually?
  Would you mind setting the  "options - send - plaintext settings" to
prefix quotes with "> " or similar to make it easier for other mailreaders
please.

  Anyway, can a normal BIOS really boot from hdb ? It probably depends
what you mean by boot, and which BIOS you have. Even if the kernel can
load from hdb, you might need the lilo boot sector on hda.  But I cant see
any point in moving hardware around.

  I'm surprised to see redhat recommend an "upgrade install" to get gnome
- it would seem dangerous, and even they say "oddly enough" there.

  Yes, sounds best to have a clean start if you cant find what is wrong.
You should be able to keep the /home partiton if you have loaded user
data, but backup first of course.
   Easiest would be a workstation install, then add any missing services
you want.