[plug] Terminal Emulation

Bradley Browne brad at server.mapsys.com.au
Tue Jun 20 11:03:13 WST 2000

Hi,

We recently disconnected the keyboard, mouse and monitor from our
Linux box because we never had a need to sit in front of it.
Usually I just telnet to it to make any changes, but I am having
some trouble editing some files (most notably /etc/aliases and
/var/named/*) using the telnet program I have.  The Linux machine
is a RedHat 6.1 machine that serves our web site, mail and DNS.
I have been using Tera Term as the telnet application but I had
to re-install it and lost the settings that the last person had
set up for this program.

The problem I am getting is that when I open the file in vi I
cannot navigate around it, and the screen does not completely
refresh (so some of the characters that were on the screen when I
opened vi "appear" to be part of the document).  I realise this
must be something to do with the terminal emulation but I am not
sure what setting needs to be in place for this to function the
way it used to.  What I am asking is ... is there a terminal
emulation program that works under Win98 that would better serve
my needs and what should I be setting in Tera Term to make it
work properly ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Bradley Browne
Support Manager

1st Floor 646 Newcastle St
Leederville, WA 6007
Ph: +61 8 9328 2715 Fax: +61 8 9328 2716
email: brad at mapsys.com.au
http://www.mapsys.com.au/