[plug] X over a Modem

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Jun 21 15:12:04 WST 2000

Allright, I know this is old hat to all you linux (UNIX) guru's
but I have to say how impressed I am at getting my first remote
X session running lastnight.
Although, we logged into a mate's machine over a very laggy
33.6k link and it did take nearly 20 minutes to bring up a
Gnome desktop with a large background pixmap and a full Aqua
theme. I'm writing this now from my laptop which is running
my full windowmaker desktop from my other PC.
Having tried to do this for months, and been foiled at every
turn, it turned out all I had to do was issue the xhost command
to enable access to my remote machine. Oh well, ya live and ya
learn. Now I need to do some homework on X over ssh. Does anyone
know if there is a compression protocol for X? Maybe to speed
it up a little over a slow 33.6k link? I guess if both modems
have compression enabled it removes the need for this anyway..

Just another use also, is, using Xcdroast beta, you must be logged
in as root. So instead of starting another x server as root, I can
now su in an xterm, set the display variable and bring an su'd
Xcdroast up in my normal window manager.

The reason I'm rambling about this here, is I never find out
about this stuff until I see someone else ramble about it, so
I figure if I write about it here, someone else might see a
lightbulb go up and go, "Hey, I have just the use for that".

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would