[plug] X over a Modem

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 21 15:22:49 WST 2000

on Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 03:12:04PM +0800, Brad Campbell <brad at seme.com.au> wrote:
> Having tried to do this for months, and been foiled at every
> turn, it turned out all I had to do was issue the xhost command

If you use ssh to connect then there wont be a need for the xhost
command or setting the DISPLAY enviorment variable, its automatic.
Over a modem line I use the -C for ssh for compression.

> to enable access to my remote machine. Oh well, ya live and ya
> learn. Now I need to do some homework on X over ssh. Does anyone
> know if there is a compression protocol for X? Maybe to speed
> it up a little over a slow 33.6k link? I guess if both modems
> have compression enabled it removes the need for this anyway..

Dont get X to more then it has to, just start an xterm.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065