[plug] X over a Modem

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 21 15:55:28 WST 2000

Try using VNC instead - its faster and somewhat more secure, and can
also be run thru an ssh tunnel for good security.  Used xhost at Murdoch
Uni for logging into some of the sun machines on the internal network -
fast and usable.  Tried the same from home and very slow, really it was
unusable for any serious graphical work VNC however was acceptable over
a modem (at 48k connection thru iinet) tho a certain amount of slowness
was due to the way the particular application was written - xterms, licq
and even netscape were OK (and I know, a bit silly, I was just testing
to see what I could do!!!).  From memory, VNC encrypts the password and
not the session traffic.  The speed advantage over X is mostly due to
smart caching of X commands - they suggest that thru ssh may be faster
as most encryption programs also perform a degree of traffic compression
(not sure if that is the case or not for common ssh implementations -
someone else may have experience there).

BillK
).