xhost Re: [plug] X over a Modem

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Jun 21 15:30:16 WST 2000

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Brad Campbell wrote:

> turn, it turned out all I had to do was issue the xhost command
> to enable access to my remote machine.

Eek.

xhost should be taken out and shot.

NEVER under any circumstance type "xhost +" no matter what.
(There are actually some programs out there that recommend this in their
docs)

use "xauth" instead.

It's really not that hard to use.
On the X server type:

xauth list $DISPLAY

then on the machine you want to run the client, run

xauth add $DISPLAY . <the md5 hash you got from xauth list>

(After setting the DISPLAY variable as appropriate)

> Oh well, ya live and ya
> learn. Now I need to do some homework on X over ssh. Does anyone
> know if there is a compression protocol for X?

lbx=low bandwidth x

See the documentation with the xproxy debian package.

> Just another use also, is, using Xcdroast beta, you must be logged
> in as root. So instead of starting another x server as root, I can
> now su in an xterm, set the display variable and bring an su'd
> Xcdroast up in my normal window manager.

Ditto, xauth can be done to do that.
Run the xauth add command as root, or copy ~brad/.Xauthority to /root/

 - Matt