[plug] Samba Help for a Dunce Please

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jun 22 18:18:26 WST 2000

At 12:12 PM 6/22/00 +0800, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I feel I should know the answer to this, so with head bowed low I ask
>
>I have installed Samba 2.0.6. All appears fine apart from the dread IPC$
>password request from a Win$low client.

This might be due to you not having a valid guest account on the server.

When you browse, Windows often send a null username and password when
accessing the IPC$ share. Samba notices this and maps it to the guest
account. If the guest account does not exist, you will get the password
message for the IPC$ share.

The guest account simply has to be present. You do not have to allow anyone
to log into it.

>I followed the doco (I thought word for word). The samba box is a domain
>member, we are using encrypted passwords, the plaintext password reg
>entry was *not* added to PDC, /etc/passwd was cat'd into /etc/smbpasswd
>with makesmbpasswd.sh, both smbd and nmbd run ok, testparm does not
>report any errors, smbclient -L sambabox -N lists everything (I do get a
>password prompt if I omit the -N, but as root <enter> removes that).
>
>This has got to be a password encryption type problem since smbclient
>'\\sambabox\share' -U valid user spits the dummy with bad password pair
>message.

Not necessarily ... See above.

>I am going round in circles can some one please throw me a line?

See Figure 1^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Habove.

>Thanks in advance
>
>Mike

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course