[plug] remote terminal

Phil Pearson filpee at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 23 21:37:17 WST 2000

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Phil Pearson wrote:
>
> > I need a program that will telnet with a SCO Unix box. Minix works well
>
> How about "telnet"? Isn't "Minix" an OS?
> Are you telneting across a network, or using "minicom" on a serial line?

Doh ! I use minicom (not Minix) to access my modem then dial out from
there. I log into the SCO box as per usual terminal window. ie not using
any X aplications. This is a dedicated connection so none of this
accessing through networks.

> Either way, SCO is Unix, so should be using terminfo (or the older
> termcap). Do you have an application which doesnt? That would be unusual.
>
> > untill I need to press a function button. So does anyone know of any
> > programs that support SCO ANSII emulation for linux? Now I read
>
> That is probably the wrong way to go. Try setting TERM=xterm and using
> xterm.
>   Hang on ... are you saying SCO has its own version on ANSII? X supports
> different character sets too.

With the program I use within Dos if I select an ANSII terminal none of
the function keys work correctly. If I select SCO ANSII they work. With
minicom I can select either VT102 or ANSII. Neither of these two
emulations work. I'll look into X character sets.

> Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
>                           --==--

Ta again
Phil Pearson