[plug] PPP oddity

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sun Jun 25 04:19:49 WST 2000

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> I've had a few PPP problems in my time, but this one is weird.  PPP
> connects and the log fileshows nothing unusual.  However I can't ping
> the remote end of the link (or beyond).  When I try, ifconfig doesn't
> show any increase in the packets sent/received, and for that matter
> the modem's TX light doesn't flash.

> When I ping in the other direction (from the server) the RX light
> flashes, but no reply is returned (same story if I ping from an
> external network - which also indicates it is not a proxy-arp
> problem, because I could at least ping the remote end of the link if
> it was).

> Routing table on the client end shows as follows (this all looks fine
> to me):

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination  Gateway      Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 192.168.1.40 *            255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0 eth0
> 203.25.143.1 *            255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0 ppp0
> 192.168.1.0  *            255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0    *            255.0.0.0       U     0      0     0 lo
> default      203.25.143.1 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     0 ppp0

> Any ideas, anyone?  TIA!

Can you mail us this again, plus the pppd connection bits from
/var/log/messages, plus an ifconfig, plus an ARP table dump? And is your
pppd SUID root? And is this limited to ICMP? Have you tried TCP and UDP
connects?

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales