[plug] PPP oddity

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Jun 25 00:20:04 WST 2000

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> I've had a few PPP problems in my time, but this one is weird.  PPP
> connects and the log fileshows nothing unusual.  However I can't ping
> the remote end of the link (or beyond).  When I try, ifconfig doesn't
> show any increase in the packets sent/received, and for that matter
> the modem's TX light doesn't flash.

Check your FireWall rules.
I had similar problems with a machine one of my customers built himself -
took me several hours to work out it was setting the firewall policies to
"REJECT" - and I couldn't find where it was doing that, until I realised
he'd installed the debian "ipmasq" package (which I'd never used before)

 - Matt