[plug] Headless operation

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Jun 26 22:10:11 WST 2000

Parisse wrote:
> is there a version of SSH that runs from windows?

I use PuTTY. There is a secure-copy for it as well, now.

Visit http://www.google.com/ and type "putty ssh telnet" into the search
box. The "I'm feeling lucky" button works for this one. Many of the
tools listed on FreshMeat (http://freshmeat.net/) have Windows ports.

> BTW: what services are actually needed  on boot as it seems that
> Red Hat loads just about every thing.

Whatever you use. If you're running a webserver, you'll need apache. If
you're analysing the logs or it's a gateway, named and identd are a good
idea. If it's a gateway and has heaps of resources, use Squid (and set
up the client machines' browsers to use it). Never use telnet. Avoid
unencrypted POP3 and IMAP if you can. Don't run FTP unless you must.

If in doubt, comment it out (restart the service if needed, inetd being
the classic) and try it. Don't do this to ssh once it's headless, and do
make sure that your name resolution works before you behead it (some ssh
daemons are picky about this). (-:

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales