[plug] Deleted tmp, Broken X

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Jun 26 22:31:05 WST 2000

Steve Grasso wrote:
> Hmmm...Having run short of disk space, I decided to live dangerously and
> shifted /tmp to another partition, sym linking to it from / (Created the
> source tmp dir with perms of 777 and sticky bit set).

I would either make a separate partition for it or make a virtual disk
and mount that on /tmp. Symlinks aren't perfect.

> I then
> (foolishly) blew the copy I made of the old /tmp away (don't ask me why).
> Now X fails with an errno 111, having failed to set default font path
> 'unix/:-1' and thus not able to open the default font.

> X appears to be gagging on the absence of xfs, which starts correctly at
> bootup, but disappears sometime afterwards (well, I don't see it in ps).

> What on earth have I broken??

Your X server. (-:

My /tmp directory has a subdir named .font-unix containing a socket
named fs-1, both owned by xfs. Perhaps when you've made /tmp happy
again, you can give an option to xfs at startup to ask it for a new one
of these.

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales