[plug] Deleted tmp, Broken X

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Tue Jun 27 15:08:48 WST 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Steve Grasso wrote:
> > Hmmm...Having run short of disk space, I decided to live dangerously and
> > shifted /tmp to another partition, sym linking to it from /
> I would either make a separate partition for it or make a virtual disk
> and mount that on /tmp. Symlinks aren't perfect.
And for security reasons, most programs will not follow symlinks when
writing temp files - what if a malicious user had created a file in /tmp
that symlinks to some important file of yours? A program using that temp
file would overwrite your important data. That is the major problem with
symlinks, and the main reason they are not a perfect substitute.

-Greg Mildenhall