[plug] Headless operation

Raven ian.kent at pobox.com
Mon Jun 26 22:54:19 WST 2000

stephen humble wrote:

> Can settup a serial port to allow
> a vt102 to be used for diagniostics.

In lilo.conf you need the serial= line for boot info and the
append="console ..." line for console messages after the system is up.
There is info about this in Kernel source Documentation directory. Below is
what I use for my gateway. It has a video card for two reasons, first the
PC hardware fails to initialize if ther is not one present and second,
sometimes I just need to see what's going on at power on.

File is /etc/lilo.conf

serial=0,9600n8
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=100
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-42
        append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600"
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-42.img
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda1
        read-only