SSL, banks, was Re: [plug] StarOffice

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Wed Jun 28 07:09:05 WST 2000

> Pete, sorry but where did you get this idea?
> The banks have site certificates that
> enable 128-bit encryption on _your_ browser. Banks _always_ use 128 bit
> encryption with web browsers, or none. Never 40 bit AFAIK.

Not sure if I understand this completely Mike..... does this mean all
banks have the ability to enable 128-bit encryption on non 128bit
browsers or did?

I lost contact briefly with my own bank untill I could upgrade to full
128bit
version of netscape. Plug assisted.

> > the user only has a 40-bit-capable SSL browser, then the communication
> > should be only 40-bit SSL'ed.
>
> The export versions were 128 bit "capable" - thats why fortify
> could exist. They were just crippled to normally use 40-bit.

So in the past I've been connecting to a 128bit site with lower weight
browser
?

I gave them a fair bit of heat when I lost contact since my own
particular business solution favours linux. ( In fact we figured it was
cheaper to change banks than software)

> Commbank say "Obtain the very latest Java Virtual Machine available for
> your OS." but the site seems to work fine with java disabled

Which means we are interested in solutions that are not OS dependent
would the Java virtual machine for SO5.2 be okay. Or is it Linux - Java
thats the issue
I always thought the java problems were cofinde to Netscape for linux

Mark