SSL, banks, was Re: [plug] StarOffice

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Jun 28 09:19:45 WST 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Mark Saxon wrote:

> I lost contact briefly with my own bank untill I could upgrade to full
> 128bit
> version of netscape. Plug assisted.

What bank is that?

As mentioned, the major banks (CBA, BankWest etc) support 128bit
encryption on US and International browsers, but I don't know of all banks
& credit unions have paid what would most likely be an absurd amount for
those special SSL certificates.

I know that at least when I had an account with the "Advantage Credit
Union" the first time I connected, it warned me I was only connecting at
40bit, and when I fortified Netscape it assured me I was connecting at 128
bit.

> > Commbank say "Obtain the very latest Java Virtual Machine available for
> > your OS." but the site seems to work fine with java disabled
>
> Which means we are interested in solutions that are not OS dependent
> would the Java virtual machine for SO5.2 be okay. Or is it Linux - Java
> thats the issue

No it means you don't need java at all, so the version that comes with
SO5.2 is irrelevant.

 - Matt