[plug] Banks Online

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Jun 28 20:48:57 WST 2000

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 11:48:52AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> As the person who raised the issue of the security of Internet banking,
> and the encryption levels, on the mailing list, some time ago, I
> distinctly remember someone (I believe it was Christian), advising at
> the time, that he understood that the bank (ANZ) apparently used an
> applet to implement the 128 bit security, regardless of the encryption
> level on the browsers. At that time, the idiots at the ANZ, who dealt
> with the queries, through their wondrous (as in I wonder why they
> bother) "Securemail", wouldn't have known the difference between a mac
> and an ATM.

Before someone (I think it was Mike) explained how 128-bit key lengths
could be used for organisations with the correct certificates I
suggested that a Java applet could be one way of getting around the
program.  But, as I've already said, the difference between 40 and 128
bit key lengths probably does not matter all that much in this case.

Regards,

Christian.