[plug] Banks Online

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 28 11:48:52 WST 2000

Darrell Horrocks wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up on the server-based key allowing 128bit encryption.
> Didn't even see a link to that anywhere.
>
> At least now netscape has 128bit as standard.  Does anyone know if IE has that
> capability yet?  Actually, does anyone want to admit to using it?? ;-)
>
> Joshua Pierre wrote:
>
> > Ugh,
> >
> > I know what you mean, my mum wants to use bankwest but no windows at my
> > house without rebooting and i have never heard anything of the sort :)
> >

> Yeah, I am becoming an anti-reboot freak.  You just get so used to just having
> to log in, rather than power up.  I get a bit annoyed when the fiancé wants to
>
> > Anyway, the ANZ interface is nice and quick aswell as useful, get my thumbs
> > up..
> >

> Yeah, I will agree.  The ANZ interface is really good.  And in actual fact the
> encrypted mail to the Customer service is usually quicker than standing in a
> queue ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Darrell

I trust that this is the correct thread to which to post this, as I
believe that about three threads have developed, for this particular
issue, and, it seems, someone creates a new thread on the topic, every
day or so.

As the person who raised the issue of the security of Internet banking,
and the encryption levels, on the mailing list, some time ago, I
distinctly remember someone (I believe it was Christian), advising at
the time, that he understood that the bank (ANZ) apparently used an
applet to implement the 128 bit security, regardless of the encryption
level on the browsers. At that time, the idiots at the ANZ, who dealt
with the queries, through their wondrous (as in I wonder why they
bother) "Securemail", wouldn't have known the difference between a mac
and an ATM.

I have used various versions of Netscape, from 4.08, which is on my
Linux intallation (RH 5.2, on my computer), to 4.7, which is on this OS,
and all work with the ANZ banking interface. I believe that the ANZ bank
interface works with any IE or Netscape browser, of version 4.0 or later

It does not use (or require) Java to be enabled (despite the advice of
the ANZ), as I had disabled it, for security reasons, and the Internet
banking facility still works.

It requires Javascipt to be enabled, so, I believe that it is written in
Java.

In the past with my experience of using Star Office 5.1 (which was the
start of the discussion, from which all these threads arose), I had
problems with any website that used Javascript. From memory, I have
discussed this with Bill Kenworthy, who seemed to agree, or, indicate,
that Star Office 5.1 had a problem with websites that used Javascript.
At that time, the Star Division used Javascript on their website, which
meant that, if a visitor to the website used Star Office, they had
massive problems trying to navigate the software manufacturer's own
website. Really good co-ordination, there.

I believe that, ath that time, I had tried unsuccessfully, to access the
ANZ Internet banking website with Star Office 5.1.

Unless the problems of using Star Office with Javascript have been
fixed, in 5.2, I would assume that a user of Star Office still cannot
use the Internet banking facility at the ANZ website.

I regard the ANZ interface as a heap of rubbish, poorly written by a
bunch of people who wrote it for their own benefit, and, not for the
benefit of customers, and, without any regard for feedback, regardless
of how polite the feedback is. The "Securemail" cannot be receipted; the
user does not get a timestamped copy of any messages sent that way, and,
because they have that, they try to avoid acknowledging, or, responding
to emails sent through a standard email application. Thus, "securemail"
messages can disappear onto the ether, or, take longer than expected, to
obtain a response, and, the sender of an original message, has no
evidence of either its full content, or, when it was sent. The banking
interface itself, is fully redrawn, every time that a user clicks on a
link, slowing the use of the system, which is usually ridiculously slow,
anyway, to the extent that logging in takes so long that the connection
is often terminated while waiting for a response to logging in, because
the user has not done anything for the last 15 or 20 minutes, while
waiting for the login to effect, and, the links are not intuitive. I
have not seen any other login interface, where a single tab, from
entering the login ID, to the password, is not used, instead, it goes to
another field, between entering the login ID and the password. I
wouldn't be surprised, if second-year university students could develop,
as a second-year assignment, a better application.

I use it as a necessary evil, and, Internet banking with ANZ, does not
incur fees of about $1.50, for every transaction done over the Internet,
like some other banks. Pehaps, it is just cheap and nasty.

--

Bret Busby