[plug] Linux Support

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 29 00:08:03 WST 2000

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 04:47:56PM +0000, Oliver White wrote:
> Did you hear ReiserFS was labeled 'non-free' by the debian folks?

I did hear this the other day, but the discussion went on to imply
that the it was mostly sorted out. I forget where I saw the reference,
but the relevant archives are here ;
http://www.au.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-legal-0006/threads.html
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=96119197500004&w=2&r=1

ReiserFS _is_ available under the GPL, but you can also buy
licenses to it from Han Reiser - in case you wanted to use it in a
non-GPL'ed system. Included with the tools' copyright file is a
statement more or less to that effect, but whoever was approving
uploads didn't read it that way and thought the wording was
imposing an extra restriction on the code, over and above the GPL.

If someone can come up with better wording, Hans says he's happy to
use it. To my reading it does get the intent across, but there
ought to be a way to make it more succinct. It's not even really
necessary to say it at all, because making additional licenses is
something the author (Hans, and his team) always has the right to
do - it could simply be made an FAQ answer, or put onto a "Licensing"
web page, for example.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal