[plug] UMASK again

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Fri Jun 30 12:28:31 WST 2000

List,

Still a bit unsure with UMASK. From the assistance given by list members
(thanks!) my understanding is now:

UMASK is subtracted from 777 for directories and 666 for files. I can
use the sgid bit to control the group so that it does not change when
someone creates a file.

I have a directory:

drwxrwsr-x root projman .

when I create a file I end up with

-rwxr--r-- mike projman

With my UMASK of 022 what has happened is 666 (file) - 022 (UMASK) =
644. Why does the file appear to have permissions 744?

Also when I issue UMASK {enter} it shows 022, I take it this is a system
wide UMASK. How would you set a user specific UMASK?

My man UMASK does not show any info and man passwd does not appear to
refer to it.

Thanks

Mike