[plug] Which services run at boot time

adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Jun 30 12:39:53 WST 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:

> I would like to check which services run at boot time. My understanding
> so far (RH)
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d contains the "programs" which run at boot. Control is
> then passed to the appropriate run level /etc/rc.d/rcX.d which contains
> things like K35smb etc. K stands for kill, S for start and "35" for some
> kind of sequence.
>
> I have tried looking in linuxconf for a list of services but it has
> eluded me.

Linuxconf seems to me to be highly unintuitive.  It took me a while to
find a list of services when I first tried.  If you look under menus
"control", "control panel", and finally "Control service activity" you
will find a list of services that start at control time.  You should be
able to work out things from there.

I agree with Dave though, I think you are better off using chkconfig it is
much easier.  The problem with controlling services is that if you add new
services using linuxconf's "Create Linuxconf addons" you need to ensure
that the linuxconf service is also enabled at bootime or your new services
wont start.  This is probably obvious to many people but I had long turned
off the linuxconf service (which it turns out also disabled linuxconfs
firewall) and had forgoten that it even existed. If adding a service its
usually much easier to write your own startup file using one of the files
in /etc/rc.d/init.d as a template and using chkconfig to create the
necessary links.

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian and Yanhui Blockley