[plug] Which services run at boot time

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Jun 30 11:45:22 WST 2000

>I would like to check which services run at boot time. My understanding
>so far (RH)
>
>/etc/rc.d/init.d contains the "programs" which run at boot. Control is
>then passed to the appropriate run level /etc/rc.d/rcX.d which contains
>things like K35smb etc. K stands for kill, S for start and "35" for some
>kind of sequence.
>
>I have tried looking in linuxconf for a list of services but it has
>eluded me.
>
>Problem is when I reboot the machine services like smb and dhcpd don't
>appear to start. I have to issue a /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K35smb start etc.
>
>Help for the clueless please?
>
>Thanks

Mike,

try using chkconfig, it's arguably the simplest way of managing this stuff eg

   chkconfig --list [servicename]

will list all services and their runlevel status at boot time (not
necessarily current status) (or [servicename runlevel status]

   chkconfig nfs on

will set nfs on in it's default run levels.
If you want more control

   chkconfig --level 35 smb on

will set up the correct K and S links for runlevels 3 and 5.
Note that this doesn't actually start smb.

There are gui's around to do this too, eg ntsysv, one in control-panel,
linuxconf too I think.

cheers

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia