[plug] KDE licence (was Debian was Mandrake)

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Wed Mar 1 10:51:10 WST 2000

> > If I can take the component parts and put it all together to get the same
> > final results,
> I don't quite understand this line. Are you suggesting writing KDE from

Take -- get & use
Component parts == all necessary source code and/or libraries
put it all together == compile & link as necessary to produce the final
result

> scratch yourself and not distributing it? Of course you can, and of
> course it's legal, but why would you, and how is it relevant?
>
> > I don't see that suing me is going to server anyone any useful purpose.
> Probably not. More likely would be that they sued the larger distributors
> of it. That would mean no more development, no more covert distribution,
> and probably no more KDE for most users.

Time for us users to worry is when we can't use KDE any more.

I switch between GNOME & KDE regularly; GNOME is altogether too erratic
for my liking, but then it does some things better.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield