[plug] formatting plain text in vi/vim

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 09:03:25 WST 2000

on Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 09:44:25AM +0800, Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I know this isn't quite the place for this ... but perhaps
> one of you can point me to the right M (and perhaps place in M)
> so I can RTFM.
>   I am a die-hard vi/vim user (sorry, I hate emacs ... I
> know what I'm asking for, can be done with emacs). What I want
> to do is balance lines and right adjust them (by insertion of
> white space) so they are flush on the right. I seem to be able
> to do one or other, but not both via shell escapes:
>
>   fmt ... balances up lines to any width you like, but doesn't
>           insert white space between words so that lines are
>           flush on the right
>
>   nroff -e ... inserts white space so that lines are flush on
>                the right, but only seems to give a line width of
>                65 columns (but I want 70 columns!??)

The best place to ask this is on the vim mailing list or comp.editors.
You may well find macros todo what you want if you search around on
www.vim.org.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065