[plug] DNS Advice needed

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Mar 3 08:17:31 WST 2000

Paul Baumgarten wrote:
> I have one machine with two network cards, acting as an Internet Gateway.
> One network card is 192.168.2.1 for our internal private 192.168 network.
> The other network card is addressed via a live IP address and is hooked up
> to our router.

> Is there a way to have named resolve to different IP addresses if the name
> query comes from different networks?  That is to say a name look up from our
> internal network resolves to 192.168.2.1 and a name lookup from external
> resolves to our live IP address.
>
> At the moment we have gotten around it by only hosting our internal name
> resolution and using our ISP to host our domain zone files for external
> resolution.  I would however prefer to host our own zone files (so I can
> fiddle with sub domains myself without having to phone the ISP and ask them
> to do it).

> I have taken another look through the NAG and dns-howto's without any luck.

Set your internal machines' default domains to kingsway, and nameserver
to be your gateway box (which I presume is also your local nameserver).
Have a set of zone files for internal (www.kingsway, gateway.kingsway,
student01.kingsway etc), and another for external (www.kingsway.edu.au,
mail.kingsway.edu.au etc). Not that it matters if your gateway box
resolves to an "external" address, since the masquerading will figure it
out anyway, and external querents can sort out routing to
"192.168.XXX.YYY" in their own time, but it is bad policy to needlessly
expose the names and IPs of machines behind a masquerade.

--
Noah's Ark was an Open Source project (everyone was invited to help).
The Titanic was not. http://www.opensource.org/