[plug] Apache doesnt like filenames with spaces

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Mar 3 08:31:12 WST 2000

Mike Holland wrote:

> Well, IE5 may be helping you to break it, but Netscape should at least do
> sanity checking on the data, before sending it as a bad http request.

I agree. What it seems to do is send out the request up to the space and
just leave the rest off. At least, that's what 4.7 did when I typed into
the Location box - I haven't checked whether it does the same for a
malformed clickable link.

Along similar lines, if Netscape had refused to display malformed HTML
documents from the very beginning, that may have been a good thing as
well; on the other hand, it may have impeded the growh of the Web by
getting in the way of quick-and-extremely-dirty page composition. I
suppose they reckoned they had the balance right in each area, and I
suppose we're bound to disagree with some of their decisions.

Colin