[plug] Large HD install prob

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Sat Mar 4 04:05:11 WST 2000

A couple of weeks ago I tried to install linux on a new Fujitsu 13.6GB
drive and had problems
Asked the group for any ideas but consensus seemed to be I should not
have a problem.
Still have not had any luck and am going round in circles with it.
I have read the Large HD mini how to plenty.

I beginning to wonder if it might be some obscure hardware problem
and/or incompatibility.

I'll chuck it into the ring again maybe some one can suggest
something.

I have the drive configured as secondary master have checked the
jumper on the drive (seems right) the drive is plugged into the second
ide port.
Thats /dev/hdc linux, it will boot from here right?
Bios shows it as being      13665mb 26476c 16h  63s LBA

>From what I understand linux does not use the bios for figuring hard
drive geometry?
Although I notice that if the the drive is set to normal in the bios
rather than LBA diskdruid
reports the drive geometry differently.

I have tried installing from both RH 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0 cds both
install okay.
The auto configure sets them up with a 10mb /boot partition the rest /
swap and /home

I have Lilo installed on hda1 with lilo configured to boot the image
at hdc1 (this should work right) it has worked okay for drives under
8GB.

but both brands fail to boot with the same message -kernel panic init
not found-
Hope some one has some ideas

Mark