[plug] Large HD install prob

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Mar 4 22:26:30 WST 2000

Mark Saxon wrote:
> Although I notice that if the the drive is set to normal in the bios
> rather than LBA diskdruid reports the drive geometry differently.

> I have tried installing from both RH 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0 cds both
> install okay.

I don't use DiskDruid. I've always preferred fdisk because it always
does waht I _expect_.

I installed Mandrake 7.0 onto a 26G drive last Tuesday, in NORMAL mode
(not LBA, not LARGE), using the Mandrake 7 installer's partitioning tool
and had no problems (except that Mandrake's "paranoid" security level
really is: amongst other things it adds a "deny everything" line to
hosts.deny).

You might need to dd some zeroes directly over the first part of the
disk to get it to forget about any existing (e.g. LBA geometry)
partition table so you can start afresh.

--
Noah's Ark was an Open Source project (everyone was invited to help).
The Titanic was not. http://www.opensource.org/