Sources of security breaches (was: Trade)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Mar 4 22:38:35 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> Colin Muller wrote:
>> This is a pretty interesting human syndrome, though. Apparently the
>> majority of murders and assaults (including sexual assaults) are
>> committed by someone known to the victim; but we're more afraid of
>> strangers. The majority of computer security breaches are committed by
>> someone known to the company; but we're more afraid of outsiders.

> Things are obviously different where computer crime is concerned.

It may be less face to face but the principles are no different. A few
are cases of internet road rage, a few are career assholes, but the bulk
of _successul_ attackers (note: security _breaches_, not _attempted_
breaches) are familiar in some way with the system.

--
Noah's Ark was an Open Source project (everyone was invited to help).
The Titanic was not. http://www.opensource.org/