[plug] XWin client access?

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Tue Mar 7 15:30:06 WST 2000

>G'day all...
>
>I'm hunting down a MSWin32 client package that will allow me to log in to a
>remote XFree86 Server (comparable to using telnet to login to a remote
>Console).  I have had a look through Freshmeat without much luck.  Does
>anyone know if such a package exists?
>
>Ta
>
>Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)

We use both XVision (now owned by SCO) and X-Win32.

While XVision works OK it has a clumsy interface with too many extra's that
don't really add much in the way of usefulness. It's not easy to configure
and debug.

X-Win32 appears to be much more cleanly designed, and works well. We
purchased a copy from Accunet (www.accunet.com.au) for $240 in Dec 99.

Hummingbird Exceed is another option but from memory it's substantially
more expensive.

I think White Pine may make one as well (I sometimes use the mac version).

There was a free one around that was very basic, but I can't remember the
name of it.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

  David Griffiths                               griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Systems Manager
  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection            Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                  Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia