[plug] XWin client access?

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 7 16:04:22 WST 2000

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 03:30:06PM +0800, David Griffiths wrote:
> >I'm hunting down a MSWin32 client package that will allow me to log
> >in to a remote XFree86 Server (comparable to using telnet to login
> >to a remote Console).  I have had a look through Freshmeat without
> >much luck.

No, Freshmeat (as far as I know) doesn't tend to include many (free or
otherwise) Windows packages, as there are already numerous sites like
Tucows or Winfiles that do that.

> We use both XVision (now owned by SCO) and X-Win32.
[ snip ]
> X-Win32 appears to be much more cleanly designed, and works well. We
> purchased a copy from Accunet (www.accunet.com.au) for $240 in Dec 99.

I've used X-Win32 before too. It is good, works well. The company I
was working for at the time eventually purchased a handful of
licenses... well worth it.

However, it can be used in shareware mode - allows 2 hours connection
to the X server, then disconnects you. It does give you 10 minutes
warning before disconnection thought - so if you don't mind the
annoyance of having to manually reconnect every 2 hours, you can use
it quite happily for free.

> There was a free one around that was very basic, but I can't
> remember the name of it.

Yeah, I recall a free one I used that restricted your window manager
to twm. It worked, but wasn't terribly flexible. X-Win32 was faaar
superior.

Of course, this was about two and a half years ago now. Late '97.
Things may well have changed.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Dave.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
     can't...because you were kicked out and banned.