[plug] Promise Fastrack 66 ide raid controller.

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Mar 7 16:11:10 WST 2000

G'day,

I don't know about these products. I'm brining up some vague (old)
memory
of an article talking about an IDE raid solution... By all means,
the info you have below seems promising!

Wayne G wrote:
> How much would a 25 meg scsi UW HDD and controller cost ???

> Besides, for home/desktop use (not server) the price is extremely viable. If
> the article I read is correct, I can do the ide raid controller for $70 ( how
> much is a scsi one ???) and 4 x 6.4 gig hdd's @ $189 each.
>
> That is less than $1000 for 30-40meg xfers with 25 gig storage.
>
> As for "hogging" I would assume the card should take care of this... According
> to the data sheet it is bus mastering and supports multitasking while doing
> data xfer.

Sure the raid card will control the drives to behave as one. But in
general
IDE will consume more CPU than SCSI.

> You tell me the economics...

IDE is much cheaper ;)