[plug] Another Newbie Drowning In The Deep End!

mbailey at ois.com.au mbailey at ois.com.au
Fri Mar 10 16:29:12 WST 2000

No doubt you all get a bit tired of newbies asking silly
questions but after going cross eyed scouring HOWTOs and
after reinstall number..I've lost count, I regrettably have come to
the conclusion that I need a bit of assistance.

I have set up a Pentium 100 with Redhat 6.1 which I eventually plan
to have connected to the net to trial some database stuff I am working
on.

I have connected to this machine my Win98 machine.

I have set up Samba which seems to be working in a fashion. (Is was working
much better on the first installation)

Problem is that the communication between the two machines is basically
unusable. Pinging the Win98 machine from Linux seems fine. Pinging the Linux
box from the Win98 machine nearly always shows 20-75% packet loss after
Request Time Out errors.

Browsing the Linux box via Network Neighbourhood always seems to hang as
soon
as I go to browse any particular folder in the home directory on the Linux
box.

Clearly I have some configuration stuff up but for the life of me cannot
work
out what it is.

I have tested the NICs on both machines and replaced the crossover cable to
no
avail.

If anyone in the northern suburbs can spare a couple of hours (probably
would not
take that long) to help me get this lot sorted out (and wants to earn a few
bob)
I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Mark Bailey.