Samba, was Re: [plug] Another Newbie Drowning In The Deep End!

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Mar 11 14:46:04 WST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 mbailey at ois.com.au wrote:

> I have set up Samba which seems to be working in a fashion. (Is was working
> much better on the first installation)
>
> Problem is that the communication between the two machines is basically
> unusable. Pinging the Win98 machine from Linux seems fine. Pinging the Linux
> box from the Win98 machine nearly always shows 20-75% packet loss after
> Request Time Out errors.

It sounds to me like maybe a name-resolution problem.
Are you using DNS or WINS or a "LMHOSTS" file on the win98 box?
Try creating a C:\windows\lmhosts file with the IP and hostname of your
linux box - see lmhosts.sam .

I'd suggest logging the network traffic while this is happening, and post
the result here. You will need "tcpdump".

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.              -- Blaise Pascal