mail ReplyTo, was Re: [plug] How does ADSL work?

Christian Payne christian at global.net.au
Fri Mar 10 16:41:43 WST 2000

Oliver White wrote:

> Mike Holland wrote:

> > > I have to, iinet set the return address to ojw at muzak.iinet.net.au for some reason.
> >
> > Thats no good. But since you run Linux, you can install your own MTA,
> > such as sendmail, and forget about iinet for outgoing mail. ie use your
> > own host as the SMTP server. It will let you send mail offline too.
>
> Ahh, that sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions on an appropriate MTA?

I would just complain to iiNet and at least find out why they're doing
it.  If you install your own MTA then you will find yourself using more
bandwidth (although not a huge lot more) and it's just a bit of a
hassle.

If you really want to do it then:

apt-get update && apt-get install postfix

If you have exim already installed (default Debian 2.1 MTA) then you may
need to remove that first.  For memory you'll also need to use one of
the --force parameters too, either --force-depends or
--force-remove-essential. eg,

dpkg --purge --force-depends exim

Regards,

Christian.