Samba, was Re: [plug] Another Newbie Drowning In The Deep End!

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sat Mar 11 15:01:13 WST 2000

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 mbailey at ois.com.au wrote:
> > Pinging the Win98 machine from Linux seems fine. Pinging the Linux
> > box from the Win98 machine nearly always shows 20-75% packet loss after
> > Request Time Out errors.
> It sounds to me like maybe a name-resolution problem.
Sounds like it's almost definitely a hardware/driver problem.
Otherwise, you'd get 100% packet loss or 0% packet loss over an uncrowded
network. Chances are it's either:
1) Not quite the right driver for the card.
2) An IRQ conflict.
3) Dodgy network card.
4) Dodgy cabling/hub.

You said you'd tried swapping the cards. Did you still see identical
symptoms? Are the two card the same? Did you try swapping the cables? Did
you try swapping the hub-ports or the T-pieces/terminators? Can you try
all of these things and report your results to help pinpoint the problem?

-Greg