iinet muzak

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Mar 15 15:24:33 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:
> Wrong. Replying directly to the address in Oliver's mail from iinet
> FAILED for me, whereas replying through the list worked fine. Replying
> to ojw at muzak.iinet.net.au should work if that's what iinet's mail server
> insists on doing with outgoing mail.
> I surmise that it does this because iinet haven't bothered adding one
> line to their SendMail config (if that's what they're using) - which
> they are probably loathe to do because they're not confident that their
> virtual hosting setup is exactly right.

I think they're actually using qmail.  I haven't really been following
this discussion closely but I recall someone saying that iiNet were
using two different machines for incoming and outgoing mail and that
this was why they were apparently munging the Reply-to header of
outgoing emails.  Am I missing something obvious or is this just a
really bad way of doing this?  Why not set your MX records to point to
the incoming mail server and have the mail.iinet.net.au CNAME (or
whatever they've configured their client's machines to use) point to the
correct outgoing mail server.  Wouldn't this be much simpler, not to
mention transparent, than trying to change people's mail headers in
mid-flight?

Regards,

Christian.