[plug] Dial on Demand question

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 17 14:39:44 WST 2000

Steve,

It took two evenings and a lot of head scratching, but I got there. It is
now doing the dial on demand like a pro.
Many, many thanks for your help Steve.

Anyone like to give some hints of setting up a second ppp interface to
receive calls?

At 10:44 15/03/2000 +0800, you wrote:

>>So far I have only been using the gui interface to pppd under KDE. This
>>makes no mention of the 'demand' and 'defaultroute' options. I have also
>>been looking under the bonnet to find these scripts and get into them.
>>There  seems to be at least two areas that contain such files: /etc/ppp
>>and /sysconfig/network-scripts.
>>I have been looking at the doco and so far have not had much success.
>>Any chance of a little more info on the scripts you are using, where the
>>should be located and how/when to activate them?
>
>I use linuxconf (in Networking, Client Tasks, PPP) for general config of
>PPP (ppp0 in my case) then refine it in the scripts. Make sure Set default
>route (in Customize under ppp0 config) is toggled on.
>
>demand (which implies persist), nopersist, holdoff, idle etc can be
>specified in the /etc/ppp/options file in RH6.1 (see man pppd for
>explanations of the options). One options suite which works for me is:
>
>lock
>demand
>idle 600
>holdoff 600
>nopersist
>
>You've no doubt found chat-ppp in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
>I choose to kick off /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0
>from /etc/rc.d/rc.local to bring the interface up at boot time for a
>dial-on-demand machine. (I also bring up IP masquerading at this time, but
>that's another issue).
>
>Hope this moves you one step closer.
>Steve

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)