[plug] Dial on Demand question

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Wed Mar 15 10:45:25 WST 2000

Good one, I shall give this a go tonight.
One step would be right. I just realised that when I get this going I then
have to set up another definition on the other modem for the dial-in access.
Which also means I will have to get them to buy a single port serial card
to go in it as the system only has one serial port built in, man it never
stops.

Thanks very much for this Steve.
Rgs,
Chris

At 10:44 15/03/2000 +0800, you wrote:

>>So far I have only been using the gui interface to pppd under KDE. This
>>makes no mention of the 'demand' and 'defaultroute' options. I have also
>>been looking under the bonnet to find these scripts and get into them.
>>There  seems to be at least two areas that contain such files: /etc/ppp
>>and /sysconfig/network-scripts.
>>I have been looking at the doco and so far have not had much success.
>>Any chance of a little more info on the scripts you are using, where the
>>should be located and how/when to activate them?
>
>I use linuxconf (in Networking, Client Tasks, PPP) for general config of
>PPP (ppp0 in my case) then refine it in the scripts. Make sure Set default
>route (in Customize under ppp0 config) is toggled on.
>
>demand (which implies persist), nopersist, holdoff, idle etc can be
>specified in the /etc/ppp/options file in RH6.1 (see man pppd for
>explanations of the options). One options suite which works for me is:
>
>lock
>demand
>idle 600
>holdoff 600
>nopersist
>
>You've no doubt found chat-ppp in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
>I choose to kick off /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0
>from /etc/rc.d/rc.local to bring the interface up at boot time for a
>dial-on-demand machine. (I also bring up IP masquerading at this time, but
>that's another issue).
>
>Hope this moves you one step closer.
>Steve

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)