[plug] iinet and email addresses

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 17 17:01:00 WST 2000

After assistance from Christian, and about an hour on the phone to iinet
support, it appears that the iinet mail settings have been changed, and any
iinet customers on the mailing list, can drop their Reply To addresses, as the
>From addresses are no longer set by the iinet mail servers, and default to the
email address in the user's email application settings.

Using mail.iinet.net.au as the outgoing mail server setting in a user's
settings, apparently defaults to a particular preset outgoing mail server (the
flavour of the day?), and using mail.m.iinet.net.au as the outgoing mail server
setting in a user's settings, apparently sends an outgoing email through the
outgoing mail server with the least load, which means that emails sent could go
via different outgoing mail servers, depending on the loading on each of the
available outgoing mail servers at the time of sending the email.

It's a pity that iinet did not publish these changes, and this information, in
their monthly email newsletters to customers.

I think that, given that iinet uses qmail on its mail servers, and given the
volume of email that passes through iinet, the previous discussions about qmail
and sendmail, relating to qmail not being able to handle high volume, appear
resolved, as it appears that qmail handles high email throughput (and the
problems with email at iinet, appear to be due to their individual
configurations, rather than due to the application). If I am wrong in this, I am
sure that Christian, or someone equally knowledgeable, can correct me.

Today's quote:
"sendmail.cf is written in a language that you have not seen before elsewhere,
and bears no resemblance to any language that you have seen anywhere else, or
that you will ever see anywhere else"
- quoted by a technical person

--

Bret Busby