[plug] iinet and email addresses

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Mar 17 17:22:10 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> I think that, given that iinet uses qmail on its mail servers, and given the
> volume of email that passes through iinet, the previous discussions about qmail
> and sendmail, relating to qmail not being able to handle high volume, appear
> resolved, as it appears that qmail handles high email throughput (and the
> problems with email at iinet, appear to be due to their individual
> configurations, rather than due to the application).

Actually, it is commonly regarded that qmail is one of the fastest MTAs
available (although some make a case for zmailer).  There's a story
going around about the mail hub at Red Hat a few years ago that was
running on a Pentium 100, 48MB and struggling under sendmail.  The
machine was taken away and replaced with a 486 (16 MB) running qmail and
was subsequently running well.  I don't know if this is necessarily true
or not (or even that I've recalled it accurately) but I've seen the
anecdote re-printed several places.

I don't have any 3rd party stats on Postfix, although I did try a test
once myself and it quite happily delivered 250 emails in 10 seconds
(that's from initial connection until final delivery) which is just over
2 million emails a day (assuming it's valid to extrapolate and that the
benchmark is relevant in the first place -- which I'm not making any
claims about because it was just a casual test for interest's sake).
BTW, the machine was a PII 450/512MB also running Apache, cucipop and
BIND (yes, ok it was also running a distributed.net client... ;-)

Regards,

Christian.