[plug] flaming on the mailing list

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Sat Mar 18 01:58:50 WST 2000

ooo I just COULDNT RESIST replying to this..

> Similarly, you are not capable of simple netiquette, such as using an email
> application that allows wrapping of lines, or, of not using mailing lists for
> flaming.

His email appears in my email client fine. netiquette? thats like quoting
appropriate part of emails when replying and not quoting the WHOLE THING
as you yourself did. Thats a funny thing that, you shouldnt bag people for
something when your doing the same thing.

> If you had read the material on the linux-aus mailing list, you might have
> appreciated the value of what I said, and what came out of it.

I know Neil personally, as do several people on the list and I'll vouch
that he has a lot to offer everyone on this list.

> But, no, being the kind of entity that you have shown yourself to be, you seem
> to believe that mailing lists scuh as this, exist solely for you to use for
> flaming others on the mailing list, and, you have indicated that you regard the
> mailing list, and plug, as belonging solely to you. ("Welcome to my world.")

ah, I dont think he was implying that plug was his. As I said, Neil is
more likely to be a contributer to the list rather than a questioner.

> It is unfortunate that this list is not moderated, and that it allows
> any kind of scum to post messages, and any kind of behaviour, on the
> mailing list.

Now whos bitching?

> But then, in spite of what you may believe, this mailing list is here
> to serve the community, and is not just here for any particular
> person's sole benefit, whether it be you or any other such arrogant
> person, or, me, or any other person, and, therefore, must be governed
> by the community, which has decided that moderation is not to be
> instituted.

I notice seperate categories for "arrogant person" and "me" which suprised
me.

> If you didn't attack me for what I put on the other mailing list, as you claim,

His follow up post made it clear that he wasnt attacking you for the other
list

> But, then again, I could be wrong...

you said it not me!

On a slightly related note:
This list has seriously gone downhill lately, I'm not going to point any
fingers but I'm sure most of you will have noticed that a lot of the linux
"gods" who used to frequently help people out on the list have
disappeared/unsubscribed or just read and don't reply - I know I've
noticed it. We (ie. all of us) need to think about that, and think about
why they might have disappeared. Without the experienced linux users the
list is worthless, 20 newbies are of little help to each other - you do
need the experienced users and you need them to be willing to help out.

Gav