[plug] glibc question

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 20 14:35:55 WST 2000

I understood that the kernels 2.2.x included the glibc libraries, and that the
kernels 2.0.x inlcluded the libc5 libraries, and that software requiring the
glibc2 libraries could not be run on kernels 2.0.x.

However, at the web page
 http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-03/lw-03-staroffice.html?3-14
it appears that the kernels 2.0.x ( or some of them), include the glibc2
libraries.

Eg, I am running RH 5.2, with the 2.0.36 kernel, which I understood could not
run the later software that requires glibc2, such as the latest version of Star
Office, as mentioned. However, the web page article appears to refute this.

When I typed in both commands on the web page;
"To see whether your Linux system contains the
                        appropriate libraries, type:

                        ls -l /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                        ls -l /lib/libc-2.*.so"

I got version numbers of 2.0.7