[plug] glibc question

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Mar 20 14:47:20 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

> I understood that the kernels 2.2.x included the glibc libraries, and that the
> kernels 2.0.x inlcluded the libc5 libraries, and that software requiring the
> glibc2 libraries could not be run on kernels 2.0.x.

You understood wrongly then! :-)  Firstly, the kernels do not "come
with" your C library -- the two are quite separate.  In general, there
is little interdependency between the version of your C library and the
kernel you are using since the kernel, obviously, is not dynamically
linked against a particular library.  Debian 2.1, for example, comes
with kernel 2.0.36 (and some later releases have later versions but all
2.0.x) but is glibc2-based.

> Eg, I am running RH 5.2, with the 2.0.36 kernel, which I understood could not
> run the later software that requires glibc2, such as the latest version of Star
> Office, as mentioned. However, the web page article appears to refute this.

You can indeed run glibc2 software if you upgrade these libraries.  Of
course, it would be almost as easy to update your kernel to 2.2.x.

Regards,

Christian.