[plug] glibc question

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Mar 20 14:50:59 WST 2000

G'day Bret,

> Eg, I am running RH 5.2, with the 2.0.36 kernel, which I understood could not
> run the later software that requires glibc2, such as the latest version of Star
> Office, as mentioned. However, the web page article appears to refute this.
>
> When I typed in both commands on the web page;
> "To see whether your Linux system contains the
>                         appropriate libraries, type:
>
>                         ls -l /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>                         ls -l /lib/libc-2.*.so"
>
> I got version numbers of 2.0.7

RedHat 5.2 runs glibc 2.0.7, it doesn't matter that you're kernel
is in the 2.0 series. I believe RedHat were one of the first
distros to go with glibc2 and it caused quite a few problems
(initially with rh5.1). Other distros probably didn't bundle
glibc2+ until a little later by which time the 2.2 series kernels
were out.

> Can someone please clarify this for me?

On my RedHat 5.2 box when installing software I:

- choose a glibc2 RPM if available (avoid glibc2.1 packages though)
- OR download source and compile ;)

remember libc6 = glibc2

Regards,

Jason Nicholls