[plug] OT: HD Data recovery

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 21 00:00:21 WST 2000

Greg Raftery wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Sorry for being off topic. I was wondering if anyone knows of a company in
> Perth that recovers data from hard drives, or has a solution to my problem.
>
> I put my drive from my Win95 box at home into my NT 4 box at work, and
> foolishly run disk administrator and said yes when it asked to add a disk
> signature. Now I cannot read anything from any OS (Linux, Win95, NT, W2K),
> as the partition table seems to have been blown away by NT. :(
>
> Any ideas? (I am in the doghouse in a big way with the better half!...lost
> all of her data)
>
> Ta,
> Greg Raftery

It's not really Linux related, but, some time ago, in Perth, there used to be a
company named Disk Doctor, which could do it, without any guarantees, but, they
charged a fortune, which made it a question of how valuable the data is (/was).

I had asked, after some problems, and decided that it was not feasible.

I realise that you will have probably have heard this too many times, and are
probably tired of hearing it, but the only useful thing to do, is to learn from
the experience, and do regular backups, to avoid it happening again.