[plug] OT: HD Data recovery

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Mar 21 09:35:54 WST 2000

Greg,

<hefty snip>
>I put my drive from my Win95 box at home into my NT 4 box at work, and
</hefty snipping>

Do you have a linux partition on the drive by any chance?
If you do, then there will be a copy of the partition table as it existed
at the time linux was installed. There's a thread on recovering a partition
table from /boot in the archive. If the disk partitioning hasn't changed
since then, boot from a linux rescue disk to kick the process off.

Alternatively, with some prior knowledgr of a disk's geometry and partition
details, I've had great success rebuilding stuffed MBR's using the Ranish
Partition Manager. You can get it bundled with FIPS and Partition Resizer
on a bootable floppy image at http://spark-plug.virtualave.net/ or from the
Ranish's homepage at http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/

Cheers,
Steve